permaculture - [permaculture] answers fromhttp://www.droppingknowledge.org

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@yahoo.com.au>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] answers fromhttp://www.droppingknowledge.org
  • Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:06:49 +1000 (EST)

http://www.droppingknowledge.org
i asked martin naylor: What wouhld happen if the whole world developed
Permaculture
these are the answers
martin naylor: What wouhld happen if the whole world developed Permaculture
answer Benjamin Fahrer: We can create communities that are
sustainable and there is great models out there of communities that are
sustainable. And I would even challenge this question to, how can we create
communities that are regenerative? So, that they can actually produce
resources at faster rate than they are using them. Take on a permacultural
model of a holistic design that is working on building up the natural support
systems that we are reliant upon, by building up the soil, by building up the
physical structures of the soil and the water by enriching the water,
purifying the water, by enriching the plants. And also the invisible
structures, by building up the communities, the people that are within them,
to step in to their power, so that the people themselves are sustainable in
their own actions, in their own ways at which they interact with their other
community members. And Donato again, if you’re listening to me finishing now,
it's a good one. And just
like everyone else here has good inputs to offer to this, because there are
so many great communities that have already been created and we all have the
potential to create the community that we want to live in, in the life that
we want live in. And this is crucial to a more regenerative system is to
build up our communities in which we live ourselves. Create, we are creators.
go to entry
by Benjamin Fahrer 09/09/2006 14:30:00

answer Benjamin Fahrer: Our monetary wealth is concentrated to the few by
exploitation of the many, and that of the earth. Those in the third world who
are connected to the earth are easily taking advantage of because their
culture does not promote the acquisition of the commons. It’s not acceptable.
It’s not sometimes allowed in these cultures to take advantage of the
commons, to privatize and to acquire the property for -- was it theirs to, in
the beginning, to acquire or to take ownership of. Therefore, the resources
in a capitalistic society, the resources are commodified and privatized. We
have another type of wealth: an ecological wealth, and a physical and
psychological wealth, not just a monetary wealth. And that wealth depends on
the third world being rich. Health is wealth. Nature in ourselves.
Unfortunately, corruption lurks in all corners of the human spirit. And until
a shift in consciousness is reached, our capitalistic me-first mentally will
dominate. But if
we concentrate on the third world being rich, to honor the wealth that they
have to offer then we can truly start working or moving forward. But the
monetary wealth does depends on taking advantage of the third world,
exporting their wealth, of their natural resources, and concentrating them to
our own. Third ethic of permaculture is about setting limits to consumption
to consume to what we need.
go to entry
by Benjamin Fahrer 09/09/2006 10:30:00

answer Brian J. Weller: Okay, so this is a new section, the New Global
Frontier, so I want to show my mind map of that. So, the most unreported
story, and they’re probably many, but I think there are two I’d like to
mention. One is the dwindling supply of the world’s fresh water. It’s one of
the reasons why there’s a lot of resource wars going on. The water is key and
I think it’s not being widely reported and we have to really think about the
use of water and restoring natural water. Of course, permaculture, some of
the permaculture experiments started by some of the great Australian
ecologists have really been pioneering the way here. I think in Israel there
have been some great experiments on creating water in desert regions just be
using swales and so on. So water is a key. The other one I want to mention is
probably the growing number of people around the world who are diving deep
into Samadhi every day. This doesn’t seem to take the world’s attention in
terms of
media reportage, but that’s something that is definitely on the rise. More
and more people are spending time every day deep in silence, deep in Samadhi.
In fact, currently there are a number of groups, legal coherent creating
groups around the world, who are doing just that. By diving deep into
Samadhi, we’re taking the human nervous system to a much more orderly state
of being. It’s more coherent and science has shown that the brain becomes
much more coherent during this tour of deep silence. We’re now beginning to
measure the effect that coherent state radiating from the nervous system of a
deep meditator has in the surrounding area. When a critical mass of people
are transcending every day, this is beginning to have a bigger and bigger
influence on the world at large. In a sense, we need to cool down. We need to
cool down all this frenzied activity that city life and international trade
and commerce creates. So, people are diving deep into Samadhi.
go to entry
by Brian J. Weller 09/09/2006 15:10:00

answer Benjamin Fahrer: Permaculture is my tree. The design system that is
based around mutually beneficial relationships, this continually test me to
see what other relationships that I have, how are they mutually beneficial.
Now I can make them even more mutually beneficial. Its trunks that radiate
out from the seed, the three main trunks are: that of taking care of the
earth, taking care of the people, and returning the surplus. Off of these
three main trunks thin branch the principles: Working with nature, design as
theoretically unlimited, cyclical opportunity, relinquishing power. The
design is an opportunity -- the design is an opportunity -- The problem is an
opportunity. The design is an opportunity -- Design is theoretically
unlimited. And these principles help employ the design process that is then
eternally dancing around this tree. A conversation that has a dominance of
one aspect over the other of assessment, visioning the refinement of that
vision into a
conceptual plan coming into a way of implementing that plan into a master
plan but then circling back into an assessment, and a vision again, and a
continual refinement and implementation. So eternal dance around this tree
whose roots are rested in observation to be observant of my surroundings and
live up to this three ethics calls me to be much bigger than what I feel that
I am.
go to entry
answer Benjamin Fahrer: It lies in the overall design that is
rooted with the art and practice of observation and in the ethical intention
that takes care of the earth, takes care of the people in sets limits to
consumption in order to allow for an abundance that can be returned to the
first two. To create a feedback loop that will recreate a regenerative system
that is opposed to that one that is in place that is degenerative. This is
permaculture. It is a design that is based and exists on mutually beneficial
relationships. So how should a economic system be devised that isn’t in
conflict with human, animal or planet rights? It’s one that is designed with
these ethics in mind. The first questions are what? What economic system. And
why? Why should it take human, animal and planet rights into consideration?
If we choose a permaculture design, then the how becomes apparent by using
permaculture principles that we are given to use from the indigenous wisdom of
previous cultures that lived in balance. The beauty in this is that
permaculture bridges the gap between that wisdom and that, which is
applicable of today. How? With these principles, we work with nature, we see
problem as the opportunity, problem as a solution. We see that the design is
theoretically unlimited, and that we have cyclical opportunities that will
then feed upon themselves and add and contribute. Everything is connected. If
we take some of these principles, plus others that can allow us to live up to
the ethics, and if we are flexible and can design to change through this
constant state of observations, first we must listen to each other and must
listen to the animals, planets, the planet.
go to entry
by Benjamin Fahrer 09/09/2006 10:20:00

answer Benjamin Fahrer: To change the world, anyone can make a difference.
So first, just accepting that, really acknowledging that and taking that in,
that you have something to contribute and you can make a difference. As far
as things to read, see, and experience? For me, it was going through a
permaculture design course which is basically not a way to garden or to farm,
but a way to see life, to think differently. To be empowered, to see that we
are a part of the solution and not the problem. And if we take on that mind
set of seeing that we are part of the solution and not the problem, it will
really start to make some change. So, taking, doing some permaculture and
then finding what it is what you are passionate about. There so many things
that need to change in this world. You need to ask yourself, what is it that
I’m passionate about? Once you find that specific niche, it might change
overtime, but it will be redefined and defined as you begin to grow. And as
this
come to definition, then it’s about reading the material that’s out there,
everything has been written. It’s about seeing and going and experiencing
actually what is happening. So, if you get passionate about farming, in a way
to change that, then start going to the farm, seeing it, doing it, you’re
actually giving yourself wholeheartedly into the project, into the
initiative, into the experience. No holding back you have to give,
continually give into it.
go to entry
by Benjamin Fahrer 09/09/2006 17:50:00

answer Benjamin Fahrer: What is our social responsibility towards the common
good? What is that social responsibility? Our only ethical decision, choice
that we have to make and we need to make is to take responsibility for that
of our actions and our children, make it now. This is the prime directive of
permaculture page one, chapter one, designer’s manual. If you go that route
is that we need to take responsibility for our actions. We have that
responsibility that is a social responsibility. It is an economic
responsibility and ecological responsibility, towards the common good. And
need to make them now and our personal freedom, we have the right to choose
but we have, we should live by ethics that can help govern the way in which
we live. And we shouldn’t be specific, but then limit ones’ freedom they
should be open enough and flexible enough and varied, to be inclusive of all
of people’s freedoms. Care of the earth, care of the people, setting limits
to consumption.
Earth, care, people care, fair share. The three main ethics of permaculture.
Found in every indigenous tribe within the world.
go to entry
by Benjamin Fahrer 09/09/2006 13:20:00

answer Jodie Evans: Because it's not about feeding it’s about profit. The
food is bad quality because it's not about how do we nourish ourselves, how
do we create stronger healthier bodies. It's about who in this dream of
distribution and creation can make the most money, and can be the laziest,
and not pay attention to biodiversity or permaculture or things that might
cost money or might take more time or might need more education or -- it's
endless. Basically the answer is because food production isn’t about feeding
people.
go to entry
by Jodie Evans 09/09/2006 14:35:00

answer Benjamin Fahrer: There’s a huge opportunity and so a very big
problem. Seeing the problem as an opportunity in all cases, is definitely a
stance one can take in life. And there’s one in permaculture that we do take
a lot; seeing the problem as a solution, promised opportunity, a
properortunity. So, it then becomes not a question but, yes, it is an
opportunity. This problem is an opportunity. Then it becomes the creativity
of those who come up with how to respond to this ubiquitousness of the mass
media and how to take it, how to turn it in to an opportunity? And this
requires creative, innovative ways of approaching a problem, this problem.
Most of us can look at it as if there’s a big problem, because it is. But
within every problem lies opportunity. So, we need to look to our colleagues
and cohorts to see how we can take this as a way, as an opportunity and take
advantage of.
go to entry
by Benjamin Fahrer 09/09/2006 15:15:00

[...]

Remember God created the world, but the Devil is the one
keeping it active' Bob Dylan

"Put away the book, the description, the tradition, the
authority, and take the journey of self-discovery.
Love, and don't be caught in opinions and ideas about what love
is or should be. When you love, everything will come right.
Love has its own action. Love, and you will know the
blessings of it. Keep away from the authority who tells you
what love is and what it is not. No authority knows and he
who knows cannot tell. Love, and there is understanding."
-- Krishnamurti

There is no consciousness or unconsciousness, there is only awareness, Love
and Freedom are states, every Human has a right to be in Love and Freedom
every Human has a right to shelter food clean water and clothing.All
psychological thought is a waste of energy, Martin

On Yahoo!7
PS Trixi: Check back weekly for Trixi's latest update

  • [permaculture] answers fromhttp://www.droppingknowledge.org, Martin Naylor, 10/09/2006