permaculture - [permaculture] Landscape Architecture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Landscape Architecture
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 00:08:11 +0000

I think one area where engineering/landscaping/permaculture can intersect is in bioengineering, i.e. the use of trees and other vegetation to stabilize slopes and prevent erosion. Engineers doing earthworks along highways should become more aware of the possible use of bioengineering solutions. The use of vegetation to stabilize slopes can cost much less than hard engineering solutions like retaining walls. I would like to see this kind of work become more professional in nature so there can be designers and contractors who are specialized in this. In the tropics bamboo and vetevier grass are often used to prevent landslides on steep slopes, but someone with more knowledge of the succession of trees can plant a more diverse system which will reach a stable state and give protection from erosion a lot more quickly. I think this is an area that needs a lot more research and development.

Charles
T&T