permaculture - [permaculture] new university

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] new university
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 19:10:01 +0000

The government of Trinidad & Tobago is in the process of establishing a new university, the University of Trinidad and Tobago. I read in the newspapers recently that they are considering the introduction of a program in agriculture, to help increase local food production and to address the problem of declining enrollment in agriculture at the University of the West Indies, the dominant regional university. I think I will write to the minister of Science and Tertiary education and suggest that the government establish a department of sustainable food production at the new university. This can provide practical training to young people in various modalities, organic gardening and farming, biointensive mini-farming, agroforestry and, of course, permaculture. There are a few local organic farmers who I think could teach in such a program and who have developed organic solutions to many of the our local problems. I think they can also try to get someone who has permaculture design certification, and has experience of tropical conditions.

Charles
T&T

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/