permaculture - [permaculture] OT: need creative Linux install solutions on WinXP machine with lots of PC and SustAg info to manage (with Linux)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] OT: need creative Linux install solutions on WinXP machine with lots of PC and SustAg info to manage (with Linux)
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 02:37:43 -0400

Basically I need to do a Linux install on a Win XP machine where I already do
all my email with Mozilla 1.7.8.

If I upgrade my workstation and need to reinstall Mozilla (or maybe TBird + Firefox instead) how do I get my old Mozilla profile to be recognized as current one with same filters and folders, all functional as before to keep on rolling.

The whole thingy with Mozilla and all Netscape superclones is so insecure, clumsy and sometimes difficult that I am considering installing Linux with email feed and postprocessing with Procmail, if I can get that installed. Is there a Linux version for a personal standalone workstation with easy email install plus an email filter or an easy way to install Procmail. I would probably opt for half email IDs in Win XP, the other half in Linux. Can/how can I share file systems between the 2 OS's on the same machine; just having the Linux side read the Win filesystem would suffice. I can copy Mozilla email folder files (the text ones) to a Linux Pine email client and read and process them just fine. How do I network 2 Win/Linux machines just to share file systems, not apps?

2 questions:
1) How to migrate my Mozilla profile (email, settings & mail folders) to a new machine with a new Mozilla (or TBird/Firefox) install.
2) What's a good Linux version to use with easy OS and email install; would
be nice to use a web browser in Linux too.
3) How to get 2 Linux/Win boxes to share filesystems

Many thanks to the many learned gurus in this list for any help.

LL
--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm