permaculture - Re: [permaculture] fresh only or frozen as well

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] fresh only or frozen as well
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 17:42:39 EDT

"heya all....that CNN report raised (briefly with no answer) the question of
spinach that is frozen and bagged. Does anyone know if freezing kills or only
suspends the e coli bug? I have several bags of frozen spinach and
wonder...lynnann"

Reason would suggest that you want to cook your spinach by immersion in
boiling water-- not just by steaming. That way the pathogen should be dead.

Television reports have pretty much admitted that the total ban on spinach is
overkill, and only suggested due to our nervous concerns about the slightest
chance of disease. I see no reason why they did not just issue a "cook your
spinach" alert.