permaculture - [permaculture] Canada/America/Europe

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michelle Maggiore" <mmaggior@mindspring.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Canada/America/Europe
  • Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2006 12:54:56 -0400

I am a bit confused.....I thought there were plans underway to build a wall
between the U.S. and Mexico. When I first heard about that, I thought it was
a joke, until I remembered how I was treated arriving back in America from
Mexico by boat a couple years ago. (We received a welcome dance in Mexico,
and coming back into the U.S., we received dogs on us, checking for illegal
snails, supposedly. Very embarassing to be treating our Mexican neighbors
this way.) Anyhow, which is it? Why are passports now required (as of last
year) to go into either neighboring country of the U.S.? I personally would
appreciate the health care options offered in Canada, and the traditions of
siesta (and the food!) being integrated cohesively into the U.s. But I know
it is not that simple. I am just wondering which is true- wall and passports
required, or new union?
I appreciate this topic being brought to my attention, I have thought much of
it in the past few years trying to decide if America was still the place for
our family, and wondering how permaeable the borders were as we journeyed
North and South to see for ourselves.
Cheers,
Michelle in Virginia

SUSTAINABLE SCOTTSVILLE
Creating sustainable options right here at home:
www.sustainablescottsville.com