permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Food giant, local peak hedghog

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Food giant, local peak hedghog
  • Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 11:50:57 -0400

akiva w wrote:

if you missed reading the whole article, please check
the last 2 paragraphs below:

Food giant bows to hedgehog

LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Hedgehogs have finally
humbled burger giant McDonald's after years of campaigning,
forcing the company to redesign its killer McFlurry ice-cream containers.

But from September 1, the wide-mouthed opening in the
lid of the McFlurry containers will be reduced in size,
making them too small for the sugar-loving animals to get
their heads into.

"This is excellent, it is long overdue news," said Fay

Vass, chief executive of the British Hedgehog
Preservation Society. "We have been in touch with McDonald's about
this problem for over five years and are delighted that
they have at last solved the problem."

(snip)

In a related statement, McDonald's announced a new
locally produced eco-menu choice for the British
market, the McHedgie sandwich, as a proactive measure
to deal with future oil shortages.

Said McDonald's corporate tripster Fatman Gorgealot,
"Not only is this a tasty meal, but the McHedgie comes
with sustainably harvested spines to be used as
toothpicks at meal's end."
McDonald's stock rose 12% for the day."

There's more yet. There may be hidden collusion between McDonald's and the British dairy industry. Hedgehogs allegedly transmit tuberculosis to cattle. Cows make milk so McD can make the ice cream mcflurries. The Brit diary farmers have of late been on a campaign roll to sanction the near extermination of hedgehogs to eliminate this threat to their industry.
McD says, Wallah, the light doth shine and there's a glint on the money pile we'll make; we'll help those farmers with our little Hedgie Trojan Horse mcflurrie container. Slipped one up on environmentalists and animal rights activists,
until they noticed major losses of hedgehogs that weren't whacked by irate
dairy farmers.