permaculture - [permaculture] Global Food Supply....city gardening

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kathleen Evans" <evansdk@earthlink.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Global Food Supply....city gardening
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 16:22:30 -0500

Dear Bob in Houston--re: ideas for city gardening
On one of the grassy medians in our suburban town in the St. Louis area,
someone planted a garden. It already had small trees down the middle, and
the avant-gardener added a peach tree, which was just loaded this year, and
under each of the other trees was planted sweetcorn, green beans, sweet
potatoes, peppers, herbs, and squashes, all well-mulched. I loved driving
by and seeing in there. Then one day, maybe three weeks ago, it was all
gone. It seemed too early for the corn to have been ripe by then so maybe
someone made him take it down (I did see a young man out there one day but
could not stop and talk to him just then) or maybe he was just ready for
the harvest. It was attractive and thrilling to see. About half a block
long, I'd say.

Kathy Evans
evansdk@earthlink.net

  • [permaculture] Global Food Supply....city gardening, Kathleen Evans, 08/27/2006