permaculture - [permaculture] Design like you give a damn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Design like you give a damn
  • Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 17:32:38 +0000

Someone on this site recommended the book "Design like you give a damn". I received a copy last week: great book. It gives many examples of how architects and designers can play a role in providing emergency shelter to refugees and victims of natural disasters, and in housing for low income groups. It was nice to see that people are using tensigrity or geodesic designs for emergency shelters. I've been interested in tensegrity stuctures for some time. When I got the book I started to try to build small models of these structures. After much trial and error I managed to complete a small model of an expanded octahedron from sticks and string. I hope I'll have the time to continue building models and trying larger ones and finding uses for these things.

Charles

  • [permaculture] Design like you give a damn, Charles de Matas, 08/16/2006