permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Take two-tunnels, root cellars

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: o d <negiliblek@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Take two-tunnels, root cellars
  • Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 11:56:09 -0700 (PDT)

While in East Texas, I asked all the natives what I could do about cooling in
that humid, damp heat.

Everyone said "AC" except one person.

He said he knew a guy that took 55 gallon steel barrells and cut the ends off
of them.

He then used a backhoe and dug a ditch/tunnel from his house to about 100
feet away.

This ditch was deep enough for the barrels to lay horizontally and still be
buried by 2 feet of dirt.

He then welded the barrels together, end to end, in the ditch/tunnel, put a
swamp cooler on one end ( no water but with pads to keep the critters out),
and connnected the other end to his house's duct work.

He then buried the barrels in the ditch, covering them with 2 feet of dirt.

I asked if it smelled and was told it smelled a little earthy but other than
that there wasn't a rotten smell or stench.

I asked if it kept the house cool and was told he was suprised at how cool
the system did keep the house but couldn't tell me the exact inside
temperature of the house.