permaculture - [permaculture] is unschooing effective? responsible?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jenny Katz <jennykatz@sbcglobal.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] is unschooing effective? responsible?
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:48:53 -0400

Everyone,

Thanks for all your insight and wisdom about these questions of education. I
just had a conversation with a fellow I know who teaches political science
and education at Stanford University; we spoke about the structural problems
with schooling as it's currently practiced, questions of ecological and
economic understanding and accountability, issues of compulsion, the attempt
to try and create an institution that can shape a responsible and active
public, the complicated question of children as citizens, and so on. His
take boils down to this: Since the problem itself is systemic and
structural, in order to have the best chance of affecting the system we
ought not to withdraw--thus effecting a tiny change with a small number of
people--but to stay invested, acting politically to elect people (or
ourselves) who will change things. I see the strength of his argument,
particularly the point about building a common institution to shape a common
story... but I don't know. In a lot of ways, it still _feels_ wrong (red-hat
thinking?). Ultimately, he suggested I just have to follow my conscience and
my temperament.

What would permaculture say about this? Make slow and small changes in the
system? Or what? I'd love your opinions.

Jenny