permaculture - [permaculture] sustainability and invisible structures..now home-schooling!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Thomas Gorman <tom@honeychrome.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] sustainability and invisible structures..now home-schooling!
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 18:41:14 -0400

Kathy-
Love the ocean liner analogy for large-scale, mass education. We could go a step further and make it a specific ocean liner, namely the Titanic!
And I'm pleased to hear the figures linking high SAT scores to families eating together- I suspect there are a whole slew of more meaningful things (I'm skeptical of how important SAT scores are in the grand scheme) that could be positively linked to families, or any group of two or more preparing dinner and eating it together. Overall health, strength of relationships, and on and on. Though it seems that the first step is to throw away the television- once it's gone there is magically the time to prepare and eat together!

I've heard other anecdotal evidence that home-schooling isn't hard to do at all. Babies are born with the fire for learning already primed, for the most part all we need to do is make sure there is plenty of fuel around them and they'll keep it going themselves! No doubt it was easier 35+ years ago for so-minded parents to keep the distractions and manipulations of our larger society at bay when trying to educate their kids. It all seems pretty relentless now, but it does seem like, from some of what you wrote, there are stronger and more organized efforts to help home-schooling. Thanks for sharing it all!

It's interesting that in my reading on permaculture, which granted is still limited, this is the first instance of schooling and education coming up as a topic of discussion. Seems like an essential element of it all!
Tom

  • [permaculture] sustainability and invisible structures..now home-schooling!, Thomas Gorman, 07/13/2006