permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How many wearings for a cotton shirt?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "E. E. Mitchamore Jr" <emitch@att.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How many wearings for a cotton shirt?
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:21:43 -0500

Consumer Reports often has numbers for the average life of appliances. I
imagine that readers of this list would typically exceed that average, but it
should be a useful benchmark, nevertheless. A few years ago, using CR's
numbers, I calculated that the large and small appliances ( no cars,
computers or high-end entertainment systems included), typically found in a
middle-class US household cost $400/month FOREVER. That DOES NOT include
operating costs - only purchase and replacement cost, and I'm sure it's much
higher now.

E. E. "Mitch" Mitchamore
www.hillcountrynatives.biz