permaculture - [permaculture] Schooling

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Schooling
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 22:28:04 +0000

I think home-schooling would be very beneficial, not only for children but for the environment as well. I don't know how it is in other countries, but here in Trinidad there is much much more traffic on the roads during the school term than otherwise. As soon as the school term starts up, there are huge traffic jams. Children today have to do too much travelling by car or bus to and from school. It is not good for them, and is a waste of time that they could use to do other things. I was lucky that as a child I was able to go to primary and secondary school within walking distance of home. But fewer children today can do this. Someone mentioned life in the 18th and 19th centuries. One good thing was that schools were smaller and more dispersed through the community than today. Today schools are like giant factories with children on conveyor belts.
I think we need to reinvent villages where people can walk or cycle to get most of their needs: food, clothing, education, household items, etc.

Charles.

  • [permaculture] Schooling, Charles de Matas, 07/12/2006