permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture - Biofuel Illusion

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture - Biofuel Illusion
  • Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 12:50:08 -0600

I think that it should be made clear in every conversation about alternative fuel, and other alternative energies that none of them will supplant petroleum products in quantity. In petroleum products we are looking at 500 million years of accumulated sunlight stored deep in the Earth that has been, at minimum, half burned up in the past 100 years, think about it! So biofuels should be thought of in terms of a maximum conservation measure ie for lighting, running essential industrial processes ie iron smelting. We should think of a future without airlines, without individual automobiles, without farm equipment etc. Time to support those rare breeds of horses and oxen for future survival. The only problem I had with Gore's movie was his dependence on ethanol for a solution. The solution is to change our lifestyle, I think that we should be looking to the Amish for direction and for technology.
As far as Lovelock's idea of nuclear, my understanding is that we currently have about 80 years worth of uranium if used at current rates. The uranium source that is most available right now is from the Former Soviet Unions' old nuclear weapons - it wouldn't hurt a thing if we would deconstruct our own to fuel what nuclear plants exist right now, but we are looking at a fuel source that is scarcer than oil when we talk nuclear.

Why is it that no one wants to talk about moving to a more simple life style? People had it pretty good in the 18th and 19th century without all the petroleum, the problem then, as now, was political ineptitude and greed leading to nationalistic war over territory and natural resources. As we seem hell bent on destroying natural resources, perhaps the ultimate outcome will be less reason to fight each other. Self sustaining would seem to lead one to the idea that if we can't provide for our needs for fuel then we shouldn't be using it - or is that permaculture idea too radical for consideration.

Scott Pittman