permaculture - [permaculture] Scythe On Time was Re: Whitefield's Earth Care Manual

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Niels Corfield <mudguard@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Scythe On Time was Re: Whitefield's Earth Care Manual
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2006 11:52:11 +0100

Group,

Reckon people should be attending the next one of these!
The video is a great view, has been dubbed scythe-porn (no reference to the folk in it) by Leeds Permaculture Network.
We have put one into action in a Forest Garden project, run using "no-work" principles.
So scythe and seed is the way.

Kai,
Will you keep the list informed on dates for events and gatherings?
And perhaps give advice on blade selection and snath suppliers?

Cheers,
Niels

Kai Vido wrote:

Hi there,

Good to see another New Brunswicker here--I'm from the Perth Andover area,
Zone 3b before global
warming. My main area of interest is scythes, as you can see from my
ramblings below. I've never
read the book you refer to but it sounds good.
kai vido

***********************

My name is Kai Vido and I am pleased to join this exceptional group. I live
in New Brunswick,
Canada, on a farm where we use human-powered tools to replace many machines,
raise much of our own
food, and generally try to “live lightly” on the Earth. We cut grass for hay
to feed our livestock
using European-style scythes, and have long been researching and
experimenting with “how to cut
the most grass with the least energy”. I maintain a website-
http://scytheconnection.com -and
would be particularly interested in discussions on scythes and their use.
Our family organized and recently hosted the First North American Scythe
Symposium and Workshops
on our farm. Although no one from the Permaculture movement showed up, I am
convinced that the
scythe has wonderful application on many, if not all, PC farms and
homesteads. Every ecovillage,
as members of a co-operative network, could also hold scythe workshops and
serve as sources for
the tools.
If you are new to the scythe (or even if you are not!), I encourage you to
watch the short video
on our site- http://scytheconnection.com/adp/video/index.html -as it shows
this amazing tool being
used in a variety of situations and vegetation types. I welcome comments,
with critique more
useful to me than praise. Detailed constructive criticism of anything we
write helps to shape how
we communicate in future writing; we - and I refer to ALL of humanity - are
all somewhere on a
path of learning...a lifelong journey.

--- Daimen Hardie <daimen_hardie@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hello,

I've just begun practicing permaculture in rural New Brunswick (zone 4/5), and was wondering if anyone would recommend Patrick Whitefield's 'The Earth Care Manual : A Permaculture Handbook for Britain & Other Temperate Climates' ?