permaculture - Re: [permaculture] A good scythe

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Niels Corfield <mudguard@gmail.com>
  • To: roxann <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] A good scythe
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 19:23:45 +0100

Scythes,

Purchase one through scythe supply.
Be aware they are novices in the area.
For advice the best person/site is Peter Vido's: www.scytheconnection.com.
You could email him for advice on blade selection.
He thinks that most /any /blade, that has been kept /sharp,/ used with judgement will cut most things, unless very woody.
For snath length how tall are you and what will you be cutting? If you are six foot buy the longer snath, make sure it is adjustable.
Bare in mind the whole endeavour will be quite expensive. Best to not skimp, if you do it, do it well.
So do acquire the peening jig, the scythe book, sharpening stone and holder. It is important you buy the holder since it has to be used regularly when mowing: every 10 mins or less, and because the holder must be half-filled with water, for better sharpening.
Peter Vido, ultimately is the man when it comes to the scythe. Use his resources religiously!
Everytime you read the text, or watch the video something new will strike you.
Peening is ultimately the thing of most difficulty. HOwever it is essential for ultimate sharpness.
The book will help.
You could talk to local craft folk. ANyone that works metal can give _related_ advice: panel beaters, jewelry makers, blacksmiths etc.
Peening is forging, cold. But with the jig it is much simpler.
The process is somewhere between jewelry making and smithing.
Remember: *
*

* *always support the blade* whilst peening
* one pass (though the jig) is enough, nightly
* maintain _even_ *"tension" *across the blade. Forging puts the
blade into tension, keep that.

You can also talk to Simon Fairlie in the UK, http://del.icio.us/entrailer/Scythes he is very helpful chap.

Well worth the money.

Niels
__

roxann wrote:

I have a brush cutting scythe and I love it. The only learning curves involve
figuring out the best way to hold it to get the best swathe cut (just takes a
few swings) and sharpening. I suggest getting a good cold hammered blade and
not a heat-forged blade because they hold a much better edge and are easy to
work back to a good edge when you've knicked it. I bought mine from
www.scythesupply.com and am very happy with the products. i am thinking of
getting a hand-held sickle and a grass cutting blade next. VERY easy on the
back! I've used swing blades and machetes before too, and hate them. my brush
blade will cut a sapling the thickness of my finger, but not thicker. and
it's not good for cutting grasses, but good for the weedy stuff that comes up
under fence lines and such. a grass blade is what you need for pasture type
grass.

hope that helps :)

roxann, NW AR, zone 6b
www.AncientEarthWisdom.com