permaculture - [permaculture] Ecuador

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Ecuador
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:24:00 +0000

Last year I attended a seminar by a biologist who had visited Ecuador and studied the species of trees used by the local people in different parts of Ecuador. I was amazed at the wide variety of trees used for many different purposes: fruits, hedges, etc. Many of the trees provide a significant contribution to the diet especially of children. I asked her about trees used for hedges. Inga edulis is often used and provides food also. Many fruit trees which are seldom seen outside of Ecuador are used by the local people.

Charles

<<Hello everyone
This is Miguel from Ecuador,I am very interested in letting my
plants to reseed by themselfs, and now my doughts are how to let
this occur naturally, because here there are not harsh winters
(there is not snow) and when the plants go to seed most of it will
be eaten by birds,so might it be better to make seedballs.??
Other question is how to do to obtain daikon seeds, I sow lots of
Daikon in the winter, in some places I put a clover crop, in others
not but I had the same results, I had a really good harvest, some
daikons weighted more than 2 kl, I let some daikon and they went to
seed, but close to them there were lots of mustard, wild radish, and
other wild brassicas, most of the in flower and with lots bees,
ladybugs,, pollinating them,so I thought that it was something
completly natural, in this way new species will born, but I want to
eat daikon not a mix of everything,how would be a way to get not
mixed seed in a natural way .???>>

  • [permaculture] Ecuador, Charles de Matas, 06/23/2006