permaculture - [permaculture] Gardeners can slow climate change

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Thomas Gorman <tom@honeychrome.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Gardeners can slow climate change
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 07:23:46 -0400

This has become an interesting thread! I believe 'faith' to be one of the more problematic and irrational of human traits (inventions?), whether it is placed in technology or in 'the market' or in 'god.' In either case it's a sort of externalization, an abdication of our individual responsibilities.
"Science will eventually solve our problem."
"When the problems become profitable to solve, the market and entrepreneurship will solve our problem."
"God will provide and solve our problem. "
ANYTHING to avoid actually having to really do something or make a real sacrifice ourselves! Now, 'hope' is a different story....
I'm with Kathy- it's got to be a holistic approach if we're going to get through this. The more I learn about natural building, permaculture, personal relationships, cooperation and community, economy and social justice the more I begin to see each of these 'interests' are part of the same whole (I shy away from including spirituality, though it belongs as well- it has simply been too co- opted and corrupted by the 'opposition'). I feel a little bit like the blind men and the elephant, and that I'm starting to gain sight and SEE the elephant, and it is a hopeful realization. If more and more people come to 'see the elephant' and all these interconnected, seemingly individual interests are unified into a cohesive whole, well maybe we'll have a chance. It's actually pretty exciting- we're at a time of evolutionary crisis and we will either destroy ourselves or we will achieve a new, amazing level of human existence. I don't have faith, but I am hopeful!
No, no, no Kathy! This isn't off the permaculture track at all! Peremaculture is a part of this larger, necessary track!

<<<I agree wholeheartedly...that if we start by balancing ourSELVES
emotionally, physically, spiritually, then what proceeds outward from that
into family, farm, politics, and environment will be whole and life
affirming and not depleting to us as individuals. Likewise the opposite is
true...if we do not attend to our inner balance, we may end up in
polarizing outer situations, like adversarial relationships, politics, and
uh, war. Hope this isn't too far off the permaculture track, but each of us
is part of this whole, yes? Kathy in St. Louis>>>