permaculture - [permaculture] July 3-10 Earth First! Rondezvous in southwestern Virginia!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Ethan X <livetrii@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] July 3-10 Earth First! Rondezvous in southwestern Virginia!
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 14:28:50 -0700 (PDT)

from http://www.rtc.revolt.org/node/248
July 3-10 Earth First! Round River Rondezvous in
southwestern Virginia! The 26th annual Earth First! Round
River Rondezvous is coming up this July 3-10 in the Jefferson National
Forest in southwestern Virginia...

The campsite where this year's Rondezvous is happening is BEAUTIFUL with
lots of opportunities for hikin' mountains and swimmin' under waterfalls
when you're not busy sharing skills and planning action and howling around
the fire with old and new friends! We would love to have all of you come by
and hang out.

In particular if anyone is interested in doing workshops, there are
plenty of open slots for folks. This years Rondevous is going to have a
strong focus on fighting mountain-top removal (MTR) coal-mining and climate
change. We'll be sending out directions soon.
For directions to and an update about the Rondy, go here. And check out the
rideboard at www.katuahearthfirst.org.

Here's the full rant:

What's going on at the Rondy?

We've got a jam packed week of workshops, skillshares, hiking, swimming,
and howlin' around the fire in store for you. This year's Rendezvous will
be held in the coal bearing mountains that straddle the Kentucky-Virginia
border. That's right, we'll be camping in King Coal's backyard. Don't worry
we're not going to make you camp in an abandoned strip mine, there is still
plenty of beautiful untouched wilderness in these parts. With that said, we
really are hoping to use this Rendezvous to turn up the heat on the coal
companies tearing apart our mountains.

We're planning mine site tours so that you can see first hand what King
Coal is doing to our land. We'll also be having lots of locals stopping by
to tell you their stories of the terror they live in under the wrath of coal
companies, as well as their resistance to them.

We're also hoping to keep the momentum going on new projects that were
started at this winter's organizers conference. We will be bringing in folks
from Latin America as well as, we hope, other parts of the world to continue
to foster the international network of Earth Firsters!. If you know
ecological activists from other countries that would be interested in
attending, throw a fundraiser, and get them over hear.

KEF! is also in need of funds to make sure the international component of
Earth First! continues.

This Rendezvous will also be the location of the second meeting of the
Earth First! Climate Caucus which was born in the swamps of south Florida at
the winter OC. For those of you interested in organizing a kick ass direct
action campaign against climate change, this is the place to be.

There of course will be the usual milieu of workshops this summer. We have
quite a few engaging presentations for you. Some of the workshops to be
held are: stealth and evasion, edible and medicinal plant walks, fighting
Plan Puebla Panama, Deep Ecology, I-69, hunt sabbing, sexism in the
movement, state repression and prisoner support, primitive living skills,
history of resistance in Appalachia, among countless others. If you are
interested in doing a workshop.

Please get in touch with us!

We're also planning plenty of fun and games, including bioregional
competitions, an Earth First! raffle, the Warrior Poets Society Night to
Howl, a square dance, and of course the annual Earth First! rally, with
rockin' musicians, fiery speakers, and a whole lot of fun. We also invite
you to stick around for a while to help us kick King Coal's ass!

We are planning to have Child Care and activities, so bring your youngens.

What To Bring:
* an open mind
* whatever camping gear you feel you'd want
* food- We encourage you to bring your own food and gear to cook with
* rain gear
* sweatshirt or jacket (it can still get a little chilly at night)
* cooking gear
* cups, plates, bowls, silverware, etc.
* some sort of personal water purification system (iodine tablets,
filter, etc.)
* insect repellant, if that's your thing (but please keep in mind any
toxins you bring in will likely end up in the ecosystem you're staying in)
* non-detergent soap
* an affinity group if you have one cos we're planning some fun for
ya'll!

Special Note:
The organizers of this year's RRR are trying to make the Rendezvous a safe
space--that is, we want to create a space as free from oppression as
possible, where everybody feels comfortable. To make this happen, sexist
remarks or behavior will not be tolerated. The same goes for incidences of
racism, homophobia, transphobia and sexual assault. Basically, while you're
enjoying life in beautiful southern Appalachia, please keep in mind how your
behavior could have an impact on others. There will also be a conflict
resolution team on hand to deal with these issues and others. They will be
identified at the first morning circle.

  • [permaculture] July 3-10 Earth First! Rondezvous in southwestern Virginia!, Ethan X, 06/20/2006