permaculture - Re: [permaculture] oiling earthen floors.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jennifer Nazak <jnazak@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] oiling earthen floors.
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 18:01:54 -0700 (PDT)

While the following doesn't offer an alternative to
linseed oil, I wonder if the dilutions and such,
particularly if citrus oil is used, wouldn't help cut
down on the odor. The following is from an article by
Adam Weisman and Kathy Bryce in Permaculture Magazine,
Issue No. 47.

Once the final earth layer is dry, apply several
linseed coats as follows:

1st coat: 100% boiled linseed oil
2nd coat: 75% oil, 25% solvent (turpentine or citrus
oil)
3rd coat: 50-50
4th coat: 25% oil, 75% solvent

Apply w/brush, let dry between apps

Then final layer: beeswax polish

Melt wax in double boiler. Add linseed oil in ratio 1
wax : 2 oil

Allow to form paste, spread w/circular polishing
motion, work into floor.

(I haven't actually tried this myself; caveat emptor.)

FYI I just noticed that Permaculture Magazine has a
website, www.permaculture.co.uk

Good luck and happy flooring!

jenny nazak
Austin TX USA

--- android@sdf.lonestar.org wrote:

> helloall,
>
> I'm about to finish up the final layer to an earth
> floor in a cob
> cottage. I understand the linseed oil is best for
> sealing the final layer.
> I also would love to avoid the strong odor of
> linseed oil. Thus, I'm
> wondering if anybody has experience using an
> alternative to linseed oil
> for finishing an earth floor?
>
> Andy Trull
> Killaloe, Ontario