permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Response to Shawn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: scakya@lobo.net
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Response to Shawn
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 09:15:27 -0600

Hi Shawn,
I get what you're saying and that's ok. I'm in the process of teaching many local folks how to do the things I do in our environment using varied methods including permaculture, but all organic and sustainable. That includes setting up local activities that benefit the community as a whole(orchards in town)through events such as "Run for the Trees and use of community service folks for cleaning up town lots for future garden space and gleaning from local farms where excess produce is usually left to rot or for livestock .
Back to gold. With only about 3500 MT sold a year Gold would seem not as important as some would have it. The market today is tenous due to the fact it likely being manipulated again for the benefit of a given few. Yes, there is much used in manufacturing of electonics(more goes to that than jewelry) but when a handful of countries are actively buying gold to shore up their weakening economies, one does have to wonder.
Because our US currency is a fiat currency with no actual value other than what us dummies have placed on it(majority of US and Canadian citizens) it will be interesting to see what happens as it keeps declining in value. Most of the world's currency's backed by precious metals are doing well when it comes to economic stability-they have something to fall back on. Here we have a house of cards and it is teetering somewhat precariously at this point as there is nothing holding it up. And given the knowledge that the Federal Reserve is not a US entity but owned by a group of wealthy families and a handful of European banks waiting to swoop in for the kill when it appears our econmomy has crashed-they have all missed one point.
Our econmomy although it may seem based on big corporations, is actually broken into many, many micro-economies across the nation. It is layered in such a manner that is softens the many blows thrown at it as the people in these micro-ecomies adapt to change. What is happening now that the fellas in suits on Wall Street can't begin to imagine. People are learning to be more self-sufficient and their purchases are reflecting that.
How many people wake up each day that Uncle Sugar will just as soon take from them their homes or abandon them to horrific conditions like those seen in Hurricane Katrina? The mention of a wealthy man in CA sending police in to kick urban farmer's off "his" land affected not only those who had worked so hard to create a green and alive area in the city, but many thousands more who saw what was happening and that it could happen to them.
For me, I am not only bringing useful life back to my land but at the same time teaching the ranchers and other farmer's how our planet's hide needs to be tended to. People might question why I'm planting better than 1200 trees over the next few years in an edible landscape spanning 25 acres, but when they see me at the food pantry unloading my loaded ole p-up or in yet another picture on the front page of one of the local papers with the caption "Earthwalker Farm donates giant pumpkin" in response to a benefit auction needed to help a domestic abuse shelter-you know my part is being done.
You see, you can't eat gold, silver or oil and most everything done here is based on what can been done to help our planet and her people.
Pat Maas
Earthwalker Farm