permaculture - Re: [permaculture] borage

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: von-fi@elonmerkki.net
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] borage
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 23:43:07 +0300

Hi there,

Borage was grown traditionally in scandinavic herb gardens. Sales of dried
leaves and flowers are now days restricted here to pharmaceutical markets
only,
as they have small quantities of pyrrolizidine alkaloids, that can damage
liver if the plant is consumed as a major part of food for a long time. Also
persons with liver damage should maybe avoid this one.

In folk tradition the young shoots were eaten raw or as spinach/potherb.
Big leaves were dipped in boiling water to soften the texture and "spikes",
before rolling into "roulade". Peeled stems were eaten also. It's tasty
with for example potato and beans. Flowers have been used in decorating
salads, cakes, drinks and cooked foods and it might be good idea to remove
them from receptacle if served in quantity. Plant is really efficient self
seeder at least in Fennoscandia, so if once sown it propably stays, even
though it's annual.

Orava.