permaculture - Re: [permaculture] keeping cool

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Niels Corfield <mudguard@gmail.com>
  • To: evansdk@earthlink.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] keeping cool
  • Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 00:55:26 +0100

Simple answer is to plant trees or deciduous vines that shade the south facing aspect of your house.
More specifically you should design with shade and plants.

It is just this kind of issue that it is worth taking a course to resolve.
Most people don't really have clear design goals when taking a course but you will, if you haven't already look into a Permaculture Design Course or an Intro to Permaculture. Though the former would be more thorough and you could use the resource of the teacher and the course, and support of the other students, to design a solution to your problem of seasonal temps/dwellings and get all sorts of other advantageous outputs like: food and fuel.

It will not be a "quick" fix but it will be a good one, and it will be yours. That said some trees (e.g. Red alder) and vines will give shade in the second season, depending how close and how densely planted.

Another design option is to create a trellis structure/arbour or shade-house outside, one that could have vines grow over it later but you would cover with palm leaves, tree branches, or any other material or fabric available.
It really doesn't have to be anything grand. perhaps just some timbers leaned against your house, fixed to the wall and buried in the ground.

Then when it rains you go indoors, or plant vine seeds/cuttings around your shade house.
And in the winter your trees get planted.

Some books show dwelling design examples that incorporate shade houses.
Mollison's Intro to Permaculture
http://www.fetchbook.info/compare.do?search=0908228082

But again a design course is what really unlocks the door the box of delights.

Allthebest,
Niels
http://del.icio.us/entrailer
http://nocompost.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65387153@N00/

Kathy Evans wrote:

Hello all, Kathy in Missouri, new to the list, thanks for the welcome
earlier. I am trying to reduce my "energy footprint" but I turn into wilted
lettuce when it's hot and humid not to mention I get very cranky. I would
like ideas for keeping the house cooler without a/c, given that I can't
afford to install new equipment at the moment, and/or for keeping myself
cool. I work at home. I take many brief cool showers. I've heard of putting
a bowl of ice in front of a fan but haven't tried it. Thanks, Kathy