permaculture - [permaculture] Texas, bananas, sustainablitiy, etc

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Texas, bananas, sustainablitiy, etc
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 21:01:07 +0000

Some years ago when I was in the Austin area of Texas I think I saw some banana plants growing in some people's backyards. They will probably grow in warm microclimates like close to south facing walls. Have no idea what varieties are hardiest.
Texas seems pretty dry. I think that availability of water would be more the limiting factor on food production of that region rather than the availability of land. Water can be pumped from aquifers, of course, but that can also be overdone and requires energy for pumping. I've heard people say that Texas can accomodate a much larger population, but I think they are wrong and it's probably over its carrying capacity already if you consider the availabilty of water.
Charles

Don't just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! http://search.msn.com/

  • [permaculture] Texas, bananas, sustainablitiy, etc, Charles de Matas, 05/30/2006