permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] BASF drops GM potato tests in Ireland]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] BASF drops GM potato tests in Ireland]
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 00:22:26 -0400

-------- Original Message --------
Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 00:29:13 +0100
From: John D'hondt <dhondt@EIRCOM.NET>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Planet Earth News
BASF Drops Plan to Test GM Potatoes in Ireland
DUBLIN - German chemicals firm BASF has decided against planting
genetically modified potato crops in Ireland this year, the country's
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) said on Wednesday.
Ireland, Europe's biggest per capita consumer of potatoes, gave the
go-ahead earlier this month for BASF to grow varieties of the crop
modified with improved resistance to late potato blight, which brought
famine to Ireland in the 19th century.

I have been growing blight free organic potatoes for almost twenty years in
that same Ireland in one of the most blight prone areas if the frequency of
chemical sprays my neighbours use is a measure of the problem.
I have described how I do it on SANET several times and no one has come to
see or asked any questions.
I can only think that neither the so called scientists nor the government
nor the chemical companies have any interest in problem free potato growing.
It is sign of our times, just like the bird flue hoax. Hundreds of millions
of people are dying of malaria, AIDS, Trypanosomiasis and Leishmaniase every
year. That is a real problem so nobody talks about it. It is bird-flue now
that has killed 9 whole people during the last two years that warrants daily
coverage.
Twenty years of potato growing without spraying even once, not even with
copper sulfate using techniques so simple a child could apply them are of no
interest. Expensive patented genes on the other hand are, even if the end
product would kill every rat it should be tested on but probably won't be.

I am more than a little bit disgusted.
john

  • [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] BASF drops GM potato tests in Ireland], Lawrence F. London, Jr., 05/27/2006