permaculture - [permaculture] deer discouraging

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "sunsh8ine" <nature1@uniserve.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] deer discouraging
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:50:24 -0700

We are recycling used CD's to discourage deer coming into gardens. We tried
the cut-in-half plastic bags flapping in the breezes at deer tail height
technique, and found they do seem to encourage deer to go the other way from
the waving plastic. Rather unsightly, tho, especially once it rains and the
bags stop waving, having taken on water. Instead, we have moved to CDs hung
on fences, strings from trees etc, can be hung at deer tail height, or
whatever appropriate in the situation. And, they look quite fun in a breeze,
flashing rainbow colours around the farm! Sunshine from Vancouver Island

  • [permaculture] deer discouraging, sunsh8ine, 04/20/2006