permaculture - [permaculture] Tomorrow, April 8 - Global GMOpposition Day, Live Videoconference + Chicago RECLAIMing the COMMONS!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Reclaim the Commons <livetrii@yahoo.com>
  • To: livriv@yahoogroups.com, rwto@yahoogroups.com, paganpermaculture@yahoogroups.com, permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Tomorrow, April 8 - Global GMOpposition Day, Live Videoconference + Chicago RECLAIMing the COMMONS!
  • Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 09:49:42 -0700 (PDT)

**FORWARD WIDELY!!**

With speakers including Vandana Shiva, José Bové AND
Subcommandante Marcos, this Internet videoconference will
be rockin'!! Everyone should join the GMOpposition Day by
converging with Reclaim the Commons in Chicago against
the annual BIO Convention which begins there this weekend,
or by taking action against Genetically Modified Organisms
(GMOs) in your own community -- but if you won't or can't,
definitely tune into this!

> From: <alter.campagne@laposte.net>
> Date: April 6, 2006 1:03:41 PM EDT
>
> Bonjour, bonsoir, bonne nuit,
>
> Here is the current draft list of confirmed speakers, in which I may
> have forgotten some (sorry in advance about that). The affiliations are
> most often missing.
>
>[access the videoconference via http://altercampagne.free.fr]
>
> -----------
> Hungary/Austria : Susan Bardocz, Arpad Pusztaï, Christian Vélot,
> András Székács
> Chicago: Percy Schmeiser, Craig Winters, Jeffrey Smith
> Blue Hill: Brian Tokar (ISE Biotech - VT), Rob Fish (GE Free Maine)
> Ben Grosscup (Northeast Organic Farmers Association - Mass), Orin
> Langelle and Anne Petermann (Global Justice Ecology Project)
> Berkeley : Ignacio Chapela, ...
> Vandana Shiva (video)
> Istanbul : Seminur Topal, Arca Atay
> Germany : Jurgen Binder, Anja Becker, ...Benedict Haerlin (?)
> Tokyo: Ryoko Shimizu, Keisuke Amagasa
> Romania: Dan Craioveanu, Aurel Maxim, Avram Fitiu
> Mexico : Subcommandante Marcos (video), Dr Nadal
> Paris: José Bové, Jacques Testart, Daniel Evain, Arnaud Apoteker,
> Frédéric Jacquemart, Noël Mamère, Jacques Boutault, ...
> Besancon: M. le maire de Besançon, Henri Renaud, Denis Narbey
> other participants in Latin America : (to be completed)

In Chicago, home this weekend of the annual BIO Convention,
on Saturday, April 8th, Reclaim the Commons will join
the International GMOpposition Day by transforming
"Federal Plaza" into a center of ecological uprising
against GMOs!!! AND hosting a forum on "Genetic
Engineering & Human Rights -- North & South"

FESTIVAL! 2-5 pm at Federal Plaza (Adams & Dearborn) Music,
speakers, art making, food, kids’ activities, circus performers,
tabling & Really Really Free Market (bring something to give away
or just come and get free stuff). Speakers include urban farmer and
writer LaDonna Redmond, and representatives for Coalition of Imokalee
Workers & Food Not Bombs.

PANEL on Genetic Engineering and Human Rights – North and South.
6:30 pm at DePaul University, Lincoln Park Campus, Schmidt Academic Ctr.
2320 N. Kenmore With Anuradha Mittal, writer and international speaker
on human rights, trade and agriculture; Puerto Rican author and
environmental educator Carmelo Ruiz; Sarah Alexander of White Earth
Land Recovery Project; and John Kinsman, Wisconsin farmer and president
of Family Farm Defenders. Moderated by Jeffrey Smith, author of Seeds
of Deception.

For full schedule of April 8 - 11 Reclaim the Commons actions and
events in Chicago, see http://reclaimthecommons.net

> > Final JIGMOD update
{from the French coordinators altercampagne.free.fr}

*Joint International GMOpposition Day* (JIGMOD)

[input] [input] [input] [input] > Dear partners,
> > There are official events planned in 216 localities across the world
> > where about 1500 different types of actions will be carried out.
> > Thank you so much for this synchronized move towards a better planet.
> > Whatever may happen on the 8th of April 2006, our joint project is
> > already successful, given the fullness of our mobilization, including the
> > links created at both local and global levels.
> > Without having been led by an international structure, we, citizens of
> > the world, have shown that we were able to set up a common front opposing
> > the financial interest of a few AgroBiotech multinationals.
> > Not everybody could work out a big "Information Site" or a
> > demonstration, but this is not the point. Because of our mutual
> > solidarity, any downtown stall, any countryside beacons of fire will
> > profit from simultaneous actions carried out the very same day.
> > This "D" Day is not an end. This may be a starting point for a global
> > resistance instead, and, hopefully, the beginning of the end for the
> > current global GMO invasion. Thank you for this effort! full details and
> > downloads at altercampagne.free.fr

Love cheap thrills? Enjoy PC-to-Phone calls to 30+ countries for just 2¢/min
with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.

  • [permaculture] Tomorrow, April 8 - Global GMOpposition Day, Live Videoconference + Chicago RECLAIMing the COMMONS!, Reclaim the Commons, 04/07/2006