permaculture - [permaculture] rainwater collection

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] rainwater collection
  • Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 17:10:21 +0000

<<The bottom line is that such an approach will takesome 5 years for me to
recoup my costs. which strikes me as quite a long time

Any thoughts from anybody out there who faced similar dillemmas>>

What about the cost of connection to the public water supply? Have you considered that?
I live on the caribbean island of Trinidad. I built a very small house last year. We have lots of rain during the rainly season but the dry season lasts about 4 months. I reckon I can collect about 40 cu m. from my roof.
For me to connect to the public water supply would cost a lot, since I would have to run pipes for several hundred metres. Besides the public water supply here is often unreliable during the dry season, when it's needed most, and most people still have water tanks in the backyards. It would be much cheaper for me to collect rainwater. I won't need much water. I will use a humanure composting system instead of a flush toilet and use greywater to water plants.

Charles.
Trinidad.

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/