permaculture - Re: [permaculture] removal

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Jill <newsforjill@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] removal
  • Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2006 10:23:51 -0400

Hi Maureen (fancy meeting you here! ;-))

I don't know about the rest, but amaranth and lambs quarters are some of the most nutritious veggies you can find. They'd make a great cash crop for the open minded, or at the least free lunch for the workers. I recommend removing by harvesting! Just grab the plants (watch out for the amaranth, some of them have nasty thorns) and pull out of the ground. Cook like spinach. Yummy!

Jill

Maureen Sutton wrote:

How did you mostly remove Johnson Grass, Bermuda Grass, Pennsylvania Smartweed, crabgrass, daisies, ragweed and goldenrod, thorny pigweed, Carolina horse nettle, curly dock, amaranth, lambs quarters, ryegrass, fescue grass, wild mustard, a mystery weed and a few others from about 4 acres now covered with mixed greens and a variety of vegetable cash crops?