permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pattern Language for permaculture

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Simon Forman" <forman.simon@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pattern Language for permaculture
  • Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 17:23:26 -0500

I emailed Dave and he gave permission to use from his new [2 vol.]
book(*) two or three of his Design Patterns and an excerpt describing
how to create patterns:

"If you choose to quote short passages of my book, say, to explain how
to create a pattern or so on (from Volume 2, chapter 2), or to use two
or three patterns from the book there, I would not be opposed."

The "there" is the Northeastern Permaculture Network Wiki
(northeasternpermaculture.wikispaces.com), the same one you mentioned
Chris.

Since wikis are hypertext, there's no reason why they shouldn't link
together. I think that it might be a good idea for different wikis to
specialize a bit, just like species. It seems to me that attention
from authors and visitors is the "limiting factor" in the wiki
"lifeform"

So, does anyone have a copy of those books yet? I'd be glad to format
and post the bit about creating patterns and a couple of patterns but
I don't have a copy.

And does anyone have other patterns? Ones that, if they're not
already in the Pattern Language format, could be easily adapted to it?
Or know of any?

In the meantime, speaking of Christopher Alexander, he has not been
idle! Run, don't walk, to check out his new site. It's neat! (and
something we permies should "get with" eh?): Building *Living*
Neighborhoods
http://www.livingneighborhoods.org/ht-2/home.htm

(*) Dave and Eric's new book Edible Forest Gardens
http://www.edibleforestgardens.com/

Peace,
~Simon