permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Establishing/harvesting cover crops in small areas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "roxann" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Establishing/harvesting cover crops in small areas
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 19:37:13 +0000

I have a scythe from scythesupply.com and it is a dream to use. not hard on
my back at all. i have the wooden straight snathe with a brush blade and i
use it to clear the little cedar saplings from my pastures, as well as
underneath the last wire on my electric fence for the goats. it easily cuts
saplings as thick as my finger, but i use loppers for anything larger than
that because i don't want to chance breaking my blade. i also used it to
clear blackberry bushes from around my place. they were pretty tall and kept
slapping me in the face, but eventually i won and they went into the burn
pile. and i wore safety glasses after the first assault :)

after using the bush blade, i would imagine any other blade would be even
easier on the body, since this is the heavy weight in the catalog. these are
sharpened with a peening jig and whetstone, not a grinding wheel. they hold
an edge for a long time and are razor sharp. the hand held sickle is next on
my "want" list.

roxann, NW AR

> Really well designed and manufactured scythes and sickles made of good
> steel properly hardenened and tempered.

  • Re: [permaculture] Establishing/harvesting cover crops in small areas, roxann, 03/14/2006