permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: Yahoo!'s Dirty Little Human Rights Secret]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: Yahoo!'s Dirty Little Human Rights Secret]
  • Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 15:38:36 -0500

<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?ID=M7145494510663763824560265>
*Tell Yahoo! to stop helping human rights abusers.* ©AFP
“Yahoo! sold its soul and is a national disgrace.” - Nicholas Kristof,
The New York Times, February 19, 2006
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?ID=M7145796810663763824560265>
Everything about the Internet company Yahoo! screams fun – from the name
itself to the bright purple colors, to the endless array of online
services and distractions. Around the world they are associated with
creativity, innovation and the free flow of ideas.
I think that’s why it is so shocking to learn that Yahoo! has colluded
with the repressive Chinese government to help identify Internet
dissidents who were subsequently thrown in jail.
*I urge you to join me today by expressing outrage at Yahoo!’s
participation in human rights abuses in China.*
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?ID=M7145474210663763824560265>
The details are shocking. Investigations by Amnesty International and
others show that:
• At the Chinese government’s request Yahoo! routinely censors search
engine results
in China -- without disclosing that the censorship has happened.
• Yahoo!-disclosed private user information has allegedly been used
to persecute at
*least three political dissidents in China*.
• In one case, that of journalist Shi Tao, information turned over by
Yahoo! was
submitted as evidence in a trial that ended in a 10-year prison
sentence. *A primary
piece of evidence was a private email Mr. Shi sent to the United
States from
his Yahoo! email account.*
We don’t really know how many voices have been silenced through Yahoo!’s
collusion, or how many people have been rounded up. What we do know,
and *why we need your help*
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?ID=M7145476910663763824560265>, is that
Yahoo! cannot hide behind the supposed realpolitik of working in China.
Recent examinations of four American Internet technology companies
operating in China– Yahoo!, Google, Microsoft, and Cisco -- suggest that
Yahoo! has most actively aided repressive forces in China, by helping to
jail political dissidents.
New York Times columnist and consistent voice for human rights Nicholas
Kristof concludes *“Yahoo! sold its soul and is a national disgrace.”*
*Yahoo! is not immune to public condemnation. Your demands for change
will get the Internet giant’s attention.*
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?ID=M7145479010663763824560265>
Amnesty demands that Yahoo! use its influence to secure prisoner of
conscience Shi Tao's release and to stop any actions that could
undermine human rights in any country in which it operates.
*Every voice makes a difference. Please take action today.*
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?ID=M7145479910663763824560265>
Thanks for all you do.
Sincerely,
Bill Schulz
Executive Director
Copyright 2006 Amnesty International USA
5 Penn Plaza New York, NY 10001
Tel: 212.807.8400
To remove yourself from this mailing, please click here
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?ID=M7146156210663763824560265>.
To remove yourself from all mailings from Amnesty USA, please click here
<http://www.kintera.org/TR.asp?ID=M7146156310663763824560265>.