permaculture - Re: [permaculture] STOVES

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: holmgren@netconnect.com.au
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] STOVES
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:40:44 +1100

Lawrence, your comments are correct in our experience
Slow combusting is a "normal" practice here in Australia as you mentioned although we stopped it because of the pollution, the build up of creosote in the flue pipe(a very common source of fires and houses burning down here) and lastly to reduce the amount of wood we were using(albeit not that much extra)
We have an abundance of kindling wood on the property and prefer to relight in the mornings.Anybody can collect kindling, even the smallest of children but not so for larger wood. Since giving up the practice of slow combusting we don't have to clean the flue pipe (no fire danger) we have not had any creosote contamination of our rain water(which I forgot to mention.) Quite a saving in labour as opposed to the small increase in lighting the fire each morning.
If we don't collectively clean up our act with the burning of wood,the authorities may outlaw wood stoves which would be tragic, given that is the most environmentally sound way of cooking, heating water and heating homes.
Su Dennett