permaculture - Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Raising guinea pigs for meat]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: john@eco-living.net, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Raising guinea pigs for meat]
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2006 05:52:01 -0500

John Schinnerer wrote:

If you are in a seasonally cold/freezing wet coastal climate with adequate food to support wild flocks, maybe puffins would work out better. I had puffin last summer, it was quite tasty (wild puffin mind you, on the first day of the season, what a treat... :-).

I am inland, Zone 7 border with Zone 6 - 30 miles East of me deciduous
hardwood trees'
leaves turn several weeks later in the late Fall. Cornish Rock hens might
work out here just fine.
The thing is that I have acres of mixed greens (turnip, kale, collards,
mustard) to feed goats, laying hens and
guineas. I could raise field corn, barley, oats, rye, wheat, milo, sorghum to
feed all these animals plus I have a
heavy duty grain roller mill to crack it into feed (hull and all; quick way
to combine it. Am thinking now about growing
grain crops for the livestock and me. All I need is corn and maybe kenaf and spelt; would make do with corn - grind into grits and cornmeal.

LL