permaculture - Re: [permaculture] using old carpet

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Forest Garden" <forestgarden@gvtc.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] using old carpet
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2006 07:20:52 -0600

Hi Robyn and Wood,

I've tried comfrey and I have a patch started again this year. Although
comfrey is usually considered invasive - it just can't take the heat out
here. I am trying to grow some in patches in cooler, shady spots because I
want to use it instead of seaweed for making compost tea. But comfrey is
hard to grow here - it only does well in a cooler micro-niche.

I have some vetch growing great as an experimental plot around the edge of a
garden area and it is doing well. I didn't realize it could be used to
out-compete grass. I will definately give that a try next fall. And thnaks
for the tip about the fencing for support.

Thanks again,

Marjory