permaculture - Re: [permaculture] How likely is copper toxicity from copper bottom kettle?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] How likely is copper toxicity from copper bottom kettle?
  • Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 18:47:14 -0500

grostig wrote:

We have broken every old Pyrex kettle we have been able to purchase at second hand stores. They are all gone! Now I can't even find the new glass pots called "The Whistler".

So I bought an old american made copper bottom, stainless steel body, whistling kettle.

I started to wonder about the amount of copper that might leach out. I'm boiling home made steam distilled water, or reverse osmosis water purchased from those 7 stage machines at grocery stores. I believe that at least the distilled water is acidic to some extent.

Since we have no copper pipes providing copper, we don't cook acidic food in copper pots, and we assume that minerals are depleated in most food, I figure boiling water in copper will not be a problem.

If your acidic water is in contact with copper you will get some leaching.
This would not be water to drink repeatedly.
Just get a copper-clad pot with all stainless surface in contact with water.
The aluminum-clad are fine too.