permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Need Green Glass for Art Projects?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Need Green Glass for Art Projects?
  • Date: Fri, 06 Jan 2006 20:31:55 -1000

Aloha,

This was also started up some years ago on Hawai'i Island. The material is approved as an additive to concrete mix, up to 1/7 of total aggregate for slabs etc. if I recall correctly.

Some have also used it loose, as path/driveway cover etc.
One home has spread it all over their front 'yard' area. It is very sparkly and IMO strange/unnatural looking.

Main problem as loose fill/cover has been that it tracks in terribly. That is, it clings to/sticks to soles of all kine shoes/slippers and the smaller bits especially get tracked in everywhere your shod feet go - car, garage, porch, house if you wear shoes in (most don't in Hawai'i), etc..
It tracks in worse than cinder in the opinion of some, and cinder tracks in pretty bad...

I was going to use it over cinder in my garage floor (for the light-adding properties among other things) until I heard about the tracking-in problem, luckily before I brought any to my place.

John S.

- Eco-Living -
Whole Systems Design Services
People - Place - Learning - Integration