permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Nature Deficit Disorder - "Humans are no longer cavemen trying to survive in the wild"

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Martin Naylor <martinwnaylor@yahoo.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Nature Deficit Disorder - "Humans are no longer cavemen trying to survive in the wild"
  • Date: Tue, 3 Jan 2006 10:30:18 +1100 (EST)

Good Idea, 6 billion people running around the bush, if we could get
everybody living under ground, sea city's and space stations, bulldoze the
city's and towns, we'd have a big landscape to play with

"Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net> wrote:
Nature Deficit Disorder - "Humans are no longer cavemen trying to survive in
the wild"

Today's discussion on PBS' Dianne Rheem Show concerns modern society's
estrangement from the out-of-doors; a lifestyle
involving mostly living indoors in a house or apartment on a lot with little
or no yard or a yard with little natural
diversity and a manicured lawn and landscape planting.

The latter comment was read from an email the author Dianne interviewed
received from someone objecting to his campaign
to get people outdoors and into the woods and fields more often, a mindset
that might espouse "I can acquire all the
Nature I need in my life with my digital camera".

- maybe there will be an audio tape of this online. The book reviewed is "The
Last Child In the Woods".

Permaculture teachers and activists will certainly have their work cut out
for them for some time to come.