permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Horse discussion.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Horse discussion.
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 12:26:19 -0600

I'm LOL, Antonio. One of the main reasons a dead horse is such a big
problem is that often a horse dies in it's stall. Picture a horse all
stretched out and stiff with rigor mortis, and then picture a barn alley
that's too small for a tractor. Or, if the tractor fits, the stiff, heavy
horse still has to be dragged around a corner to get out of the barn. And
then, it has to be buried or taken to the buzzard cafe. And picture the
horse owner standing there watching all this pulling and tugging on her
'pet' with tears in her eyes.... Don't even try to picture if there is no
tractor available or the barn alley is too small for it!!! Or all of this
happening in the summer heat (flies)....or a frozen horse carcass in a
stall. Dead sheep and goats go for their final ride in the wheel barrow!
Cows die out in the field if one is lucky. I am just being realistic. I
have 5 horses and one is 31, and I keep expecting her to not make it thru
the winter. I am attached to them, but one still has to be realistic. I
know of a person in Ohio who had a pregnant mare die. She had someone come
to haul it away, and when it was being winched up into the truck, the fetus
slipped out of the mare. Expensive mare, expensive fetus, and then that
happened. That just about did the owner in. That was sad.

Lisa, in the Ozarks of MO, USA