permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Useful Species List for Cold Climates Re: Bliss, Idaho Design Course April 16-29, 06 Re: Designers for extreme cold?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: chauncey williams <chaunceyfree@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Useful Species List for Cold Climates Re: Bliss, Idaho Design Course April 16-29, 06 Re: Designers for extreme cold?
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2005 08:11:35 -0800 (PST)

I just wanted to repost the list because it seemed some people missed it.
Thanks again for such a great list.

sean

"L.Santoyo Designs" <santoyo@earthflow.com> wrote: Recommended Useful
Species List for Cold Climates
By Larry Santoyo, EarthFlow Design Works

Nitrogen-fixing Plants
Alnus sp. -Alder
Caragana arborescens -Siberian Pea Shrub
Ceanothus sp. -Ceanothus
Elaeagnus commutata -Silverberry
Elaeagnus angustifolia -Russian Olive
Elaeagnus umbellata -Cardinal Autum Olive
Trifolium sp. -clover
Gymnocladus diocus -Kentucky Coffee Tree
Vicia sp. -vetch
Shepardia argentea -Silver Buffaloberry
Medicago sativa -alfalfa
Shepardia canadensis -Russet Buffaloberry

Agro-forestry plants
Vaccinium sp. -Ornablue Blueberry
Vaccinium corymbasum -Patriot Blueberry
Rubus sp. -Boyne Raspberry
Rubus sp. -Amity Raspberry
Rubus occidentalis -Munger Black Raspberry
Viburnum trilobum -American Cranberry
Viburnum dentatum -Arrowwood
Viburnum lentago -Nannyberry
Corylus sp. -Hazelbert
Corylus sp. -Bill's Hybrid Trazel
Corylus sp. -Gellatly Filazel
Corylus sp. -Peace River Cross
Sambucus canadensis -Adams #1 Elderberry
Humulus sp -Tettnang Hops
Vaccinium angustifolium -Lowbush Huckleberry
Vaccinium corymbosum x augustifolium -Northland Blueberry

Wildlife / Shelter Belt plants
Prunus americana -American Plum
Caragana arborescens -Caragana
Elaeagnus umbellata -Cardinal Autumn Olive
Fraxinus pennsylvanica -Green Ash
Gymnocladus dioicus -Kentucky Coffee Tree
Celtis occidentalis L. -Northern Hackberry
Rosa rugosa -Rugosa Rose
Elaeagnus angustifolia -Russian Olive
Elaeagnus cummutata -Silverberry
Shepardia argentea -Silver Buffaloberry
Lonicera tatarica -Tatarian Honeysuckle
Cotoneaster acutifolia -Peking Cotoneaster
Cornus mas. -Cornelian Cherry Dogwood
Cornus 'Sericea' -Red Osier Dogwood
Morus alba -White Mulberry
Diospyros virginiana -American Persimmon
Crataegus sp -Hawthorn
Prunus Besseyi -Hansen Bush Cherry
Amelanchier sp. -Pembina Saskatoon
Amelanchier alnifolia -Smoky Saskatoon
Amelanchier sp. -Northline Saskatoon
Prunus tomentosa -Nanking Cherry
Vaccinium angustifolium -Lowbush Huckleberry
Vaccinium sp. -Ornablue Blueberry
Vaccinium corymbasum -Patriot Blueberry
Rubus sp. -Amity Raspberry
Rubus sp. -Boyne Raspberry
Viburnum trilobum -American Cranberry
Rubus occidentalis -Munger Black Raspberry
Viburnum dentatum -Arrowwood
Viburnum lentago -Nannyberry
Viburnum sp -Blue Ray
Corylus sp. -Hazelbert
Corylus sp. -Bill's Hybrid Trazel
Corylus sp. -Gellatly Filazel
Corylus sp. -Peace River Cross
Sambucus canadensis -Adams #1 Elderberry
Humulus sp -Tettnang Hops
Vaccinium corymbosum x augustifolium -Northland Blueberry
Cornus sericea 'Flaviramea' -Yellow Twig Dogwood
Prunus armeniaca 'Mandshurica' -Manchurian Apricot
Berberis thunbergi atropurpurea -Barberry, Red Japanese
Diospyros virginiana -Early Golden Persimmon

Windbreak / Screenning Plants
Populus sp. -Balm of Giliad
Populus sp. -C.I. 308
Populus sp. -Lombardy
Populus sp. -Red Caudina #101
Populus sp. -U of I Hybrid
Lonicera tatarica -Tatarian Honeysuckle
Acer ginala "Flame" - Flame Amer Maple
Caragana arborescens -Caragana
Elaeagnus umbellata -Cardinal Autumn Olive
Fraxinus pennsylvanica -Green Ash
Gymnocladus dioicus -Kentucky Coffee Treee
Cotoneaster acutifolia -Peking Cotoneaster
Cornus mas. -Cornelian Cherry Dogwood
Cornus 'Sericea' -Red Osier Dogwood
Salix alba 'Belders' -Dutch Timber Willow
Salix alba "tristis' -Weeping Golden Willow
Salix alba 'Vitellina' -Gold Willow
Corylus sp. -Hazelbert
Corylus sp. -Bill's Hybrid Trazel
Corylus sp. -Gellatly Filazel
Corylus sp. -Peace River Cross
Sambucus canadensis -Adams Elderberry
Cornus sericea 'Flaviramea' -Yellow Twig Dogwood

Select Hardwood Timber Trees
Juglans cinerea -Butternut
Juglans sp. -Hansen Walnut
Juglans nigra -Black Walnut
Juglans sp. -Sommers Walnut
Carya illinoisensis -Northern Pecan
Carya ovata -Shagbark Hickory
Carya laciniosa -Shell bark Hickory
Quercus macrocarpa -Bur Oak
Quercus kelloggii -California Black Oak
Quercus rubra 'Borealis' -Red Oak
Quercus sp. -Sweet Idaho Bur Oak
Quercus alba -White Oak
Acer saccarum -Sugar Maple
Prunus serotina -Black Cherry
Castanea dentata -American Chestnut
Castanea mollisima X dentata -Douglas Hybrid Chestnut

Water and Wetland Plants
Azolla sp -Azolla fern
Typha sp -Cattail
Sambucus sp. -Elderberry