permaculture - Re: [permaculture] alternatives to asphalt

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Elinor Jean <u3288545@anu.edu.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] alternatives to asphalt
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 10:15:35 +1100

Hi Kenny,
there is some great stuff I have seen - I don't know its name though or if it is available in the US. Some carparks here in Australia have a kind of concrete mesh - you have about 5 cm square blocks of concrete woven into a matrix, such that between each block there are rows and columns of soil / grass. The soil level is below the level of the concrete blocks, so the grass does grow and is protected from the car tyres. You could even plant other things such as herbs. This would be an option that does not totally kill the soil underneath and that makes the carpark a bit cooler as well. It probably helps if there are trees and shrubs in the carpark too. Otherwise it might be too hot for the grass to grow.
cheers Elinor

kenny swain wrote:
Hello,
I am trying to find information/resources for repaving
a parking lot w/ an alternative to asphalt. i found
one option, Road Oyl, and would like to know if there
are any other viable alternatives. the job site is in
Santa Cruz, CA. kind regards,
kenny

__________________________________ Yahoo! FareChase: Search multiple travel sites in one click.
http://farechase.yahoo.com