permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture course in Hawaii

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture list <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, Open Pc list <permaculture@openpermaculture.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture course in Hawaii
  • Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 09:20:00 -0800

Permaculture Design Course at La¹akea Gardens, Island of Hawai¹i
January 5-17th, 2006

Taught by Toby Hemenway, Jude Hobbs, and guests.

Join us on 20 acres of established tropical food forest and native ohia
rainforest on the Big Island of Hawai¹i. We are ten miles from Kilauea
volcano (the most active volcano site on Earth), and near black sand
beaches, natural steam vents, and other Hawaiian treasures. Also, we are
among a network of permaculture farms you will be able to visit.

Through lecture, discussion, small groups, site visits, and hands-on
experience, participants will gain the tools to create sustainable,
ecologically based landscapes, homes, businesses & communities.

Graduates of our course receive a Permaculture Design Certificate which
allows them to use the term permaculture in their livelihood.

The cost of the course is $1,300- $1,450 sliding scale, which includes three
meals daily, transportation, limited indoor facilities and/or outdoor
camping spots, field trips, course materials and tuition. You will receive a
$100 discount if you register by December 1st. We encourage payment in full
at the time of application, but we will accept a deposit of $300 to reserve
your spot.

To register, go to http://permaculture-hawaii.com/regform.html.

For more information, refer to our website at http://permaculture-hawaii.com
or e-mail us at Biko@permaculture-hawaii.com. We are happy to answer your
questions. Mahalo.

What You Will Learn About At This Course:
Permaculture Ethics & Principles - Natural Cycles & Pattern Recognition -
Site Observation & Analysis - Design Process - Organic Gardening - Soil
Building - Agroforestry - Perennial Gardening - Integrated Pest
Management - Role of Domestic Animals - Water Catchment Techniques -
Natural Building - Appropriate Technology - Renewable Energy - Village
Economics - Urban Strategies for Sustainability - Ecosystem
Revitalization

Toby Hemenway is the author of Gaia's Garden: A Guide to Home-Scale
Permaculture (Chelsea Green, 2001), adjunct faculty at Portland State
University, and a former editor of Permaculture Activist magazine. His
articles have appeared in Whole Earth Review, Natural Home, American
Gardener, and other national magazines. He has taught permaculture courses
in many countries and climates, and lives with his wife in Portland, Oregon
where he is developing several permaculture sites. www.patternliteracy.com

Jude Hobbs is a horticulturist, permaculture designer, and activist. Since
1982 her landscape design business has provided environmental design
solutions for urban and rural settings. She is also an associate with
Agro-Ecology Northwest, a group working with small-scale farmers. Jude has
presented permaculture workshops and courses throughout the US West for 16
years, developing curricula that encompass diverse learning styles. She has
written an OSU Bulletin: A Guide to Multi-Functional Hedgerows. Jude tends a
forest garden in Eugene, Oregon.