permaculture - [permaculture] Edible Landscape Controversy Grows

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Greg <FarmerGreg@UrbanFarm.org>
  • To: phxpermaculture@yahoogroups.com, Localtoglobaljustice@yahoogroups.com, Permaculture@openpermaculture.org, permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Edible Landscape Controversy Grows
  • Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 13:29:56 -0700

Hey all,

I just wanted to let you know there is a controversy growing in GIlbert that might be of interest to you. Our friend Amy Belanger has graciously put together this document. If you feel moved write a letter or make a phone call. Lets see how we can turn this into a learning moment for all involved.

Greg

****************************

Action Alert: "Dan Thompson's yard is a lush, edible garden -- and it's under fire from neighbors who find it unruly."

Dan Thompson's Edible yard is under fire from neighbors who find it unruly. See East Valley Tribune story <http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=48601>http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=48601 or the Arizona Republic story http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/mesa/articles/1005gr-wildgardenZ11.html. People who value natural landscapes, self-sufficiency and environmental integrity are needed to help educate the Gilbert community about the value of permaculture.

Gilbert Councilmember Dave Crozier told the Arizona Republic he would pursue having the town ordinance changed to make Thompson's yard a code violation -- if the town attorney rules that it isn't already one. However, town manager George Pettit told Amy Belanger in an Oct. 11 phone call that an ordinance change hasn't been introduced by any of the Council members and that Crozier says he isn't planning to introduce one anytime soon.

Whether or not Crozier pursues an ordinance change, we shouldn't wait to begin educating the community and decision makers. Even if no such change is ever proposed, the attention to the issue introduces a great public education opportunity.

The simplest way to reach the community and the decision makers at once is to write a 200-word letter-to-the-editor of The Arizona Republic applauding Dan's permaculture practices and promoting the benefits of permaculture. It's so simple to do and so politically potent. Just submit one using Arizona Republic's online form at: <http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/sendaletter.html>http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/opinions/sendaletter.html.

Letters-to-the-editor are usually read by lawmakers and/or their staff to help get a read on the public's views before they make a policy decision. Our letters should make points that will educate people and galvanize support rather than alienate -- the law is currently on our side.

You can take it to the next level by helping with educational and public relations initiatives, such as leading an educational tour of a permaculture site, delivering a presentation on permaculture to a Gilbert-area professional association or nonprofit board or writing an article in a nonprofit newsletter. Let's take this opportunity to spread permaculture.

You can take it to "City Hall" by sending a version of your letter to the Gilbert Town Council, adding a request that they reject any proposals to change the ordinance in ways that would prohibit Thompson and other residents to grow their own food. Send your letters Attn: Mayor and Town Council, 50 E Civic Center Dr., Gilbert, Arizona 85296. Better yet, follow up with a phone call to make sure they received your letter and understand your position: (480) 503-6871.

Or contact each council member (and the mayor, vice-mayor and town manager) individually, especially Dave Crozier:

Mayor Steven M. Berman
(480) 503-6860 (Municipal Center)
<mailto:mayor@ci.gilbert.az.us>mayor@ci.gilbert.az.us

Vice Mayor Les Presmyk
(480) 892-0779 (Home)
<mailto:lesp@ci.gilbert.az.us>lesp@ci.gilbert.az.us

Councilmember Dave Crozier
(623) 393-6661 (wk)
(602) 568-7338 (cell)
<mailto:davec@ci.gilbert.az.us>davec@ci.gilbert.az.us

Councilmember Joan Krueger
(480) 632-0764 (hm)
<mailto:joank@ci.gilbert.az.us>joank@ci.gilbert.az.us

Councilmember Larry Morrison
(480) 545-9109 (Work)
(480) 926-4318 (Home)
<mailto:larrym@ci.gilbert.az.us>larrym@ci.gilbert.az.us

Councilmember Don Skousen
(480) 892-4576 (Home)
<mailto:dons@ci.gilbert.az.us>dons@ci.gilbert.az.us

Councilmember Steve Urie
(480) 539-5700 (Work)
(480) 830-8355 (Home)
<mailto:steveu@ci.gilbert.az.us>steveu@ci.gilbert.az.us

TOWN MANAGER
George Pettit
(480) 503-6864
(Municipal Center)
<mailto:georgep@ci.gilbert.az.us>georgep@ci.gilbert.az.us

If you want to be a true activist, watch the agenda of the Town Council meetings online and if the ordinance change appears on the agenda, show up prepared to comment. Be aware that, in order to comment at the public hearing in Gilbert, you must fill out a comment form indicating the item number on which you wish to be heard. The comment form will be available at the hearing. The Town Council agendas (with item numbers) can be viewed at the following url: <http://www.ci.gilbert.az.us/boards/agncouncil.cfm>http://www.ci.gilbert.az.us/boards/agncouncil.cfm.

Amy J. Belanger
602-616-9744

7952 Orchid St., NW
Washington, DC 20012