permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Forum - Sustainable agriculture in France

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture Forum - Sustainable agriculture in France
  • Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 16:50:25 -0400

Nicolas Guary wrote:

I visited this new forum and found a "practical agriculture" board, regional
boards and many others. It seems quite handy to me. So i posted there this
following question. I also ask to you all, but, as I am new in your mailing
list, it might be already widely discussed?
I hope someone will be able to give me a piece of advice for experimenting
permaculture as i am currently settling down as a farmer. I am aimed at
demonstrating agriculture can be economically viable and preserve or even
restore nature in there (I live in France, for now)
I am not owner of a land, materials, ... yet, so I am interested in your
experiences for starting from scratch, including studying any type of
associations, communities, ecovillages that could live on this project? And
what system/land would suit the best? My knowledges are mainly from
agricultural intensive practices. What are the efficient readings/ courses
for me?
Thank you all,
Nicolas
(I will not be able to read/reply until next saturday)

Hello Nicolas:

I am a small scale market farmer here in the US and also trying to demonstrate that it is an economically viable venture and a satisfying occupation.

Here is a begging reading list for you with the one most appropriate for you at the top of the list:

<>
Intensive Culture of Vegetables
French System
by M. Aquatias
<>

Books in English include:

Any books by John Jeavons
like "How To Grow More Vegetables"
available from Bountiful Gardens

Any and all books by Eliott Coleman
The New Organic Grower
Four Season Harvest

Permaculture books by Mollison and Holmgren and others

any out of print books on market farming especially

Intensive Culture of Vegetables
French System
by M. Aquatias

Sir Albert Howard