permaculture - Re: [permaculture] WOW !!!! - What a resource, what a guy !!!

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kate Halstead" <rockyprairie@earthlink.net>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] WOW !!!! - What a resource, what a guy !!!
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 08:35:16 -0700

Solomon's book "Growing Vegetables West of the Cascades" has been my
gardening bible ever since the first edition hit the streets. While much of
the info is specific to a moist, cool growing area, his recipe for
fertilizer would probably work just about anywhere. I've come to call it
"magic dust."

Once I started using it as "crop insurance" virtually everything I grow does
exceedingly well. I've even gone so far as to mix it with sterile planting
mix for my vegetable and herb starts. Because it has such a nice balance of
slow, medium, and fast release nitrogen sources (not to mention all the
trace stuff), my starts develop nicely and I don't have to worry about
foliar feeding or mixing fish/kelp with the water, etc. If you are forced to
garden in containers, you definitely want to try this stuff. Just don't
exceed his recommendations for application rates or you may have your own
"Little Shop of Horrors" on hand by mid-season.

I've used it very sandy soil as well as thick, sticky clay and it performs
great in either instance. I'm constantly building the soil with mulch,
compost, and green manures but nothing ever seems to do as well as when I
mix a bit of this magic dust in the planting hole or scratch it in alongside
perennial plantings.

If you have anything less than ideal soil, I would heartily recommend this
recipe. It's well worth the trouble to find the book, buy the ingredients in
bulk, and mix it yourself.

Tasmania's gain is indeed our loss.

Kate