permaculture - Re: [permaculture] geezzz...lions in Highland Park, IL?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <rmwj@soonernet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] geezzz...lions in Highland Park, IL?
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 21:44:59 -0500

As I understand it, the basics of permaculture can
be applied anywhere. The thing to do is observe,
learn, apply permaculture principles, try
experiments, learn some more. If you want someone
to hand you a cookie-cutter recipe for a Wisconsin
permaculture project, well, it probably doesn't
exist. But it is OK to make one up as you go
along, sometimes those recipes are the best.

Hmmm, I am in zone 7, central Oklahoma, but if I
was in Wisconsin. . . I would do research about
what edible and useful plants are native to that
area, and that's where I would start. Then I
would look for useful and edible plants from other
parts of zone 3 or from similar climates elsewhere
in the world. I would explore short season
annuals, and season extending techniques.

Since yoiu mentioned that you have already lived
the permaculture life, only in a warmed area with
a longer growing season, you are presumably
already familiar with the basic principles of
permaculture and have experience applying them to
zone 7 climates. Well, transfer that knowledge
and experience to Zone 3, only adapt it to the new
circumstances. Your local county extension office
can give you some advice about short season crops
and annual garden crops that are suited to your
climate. You might find details about useful or
edible native plants from your area at the website
of one of the major universities in Wisconsin.

Robert Waldrop, OKC