permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Len's PERMACULTURE ESSAY - http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gardenlen1/

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture list <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Len's PERMACULTURE ESSAY - http://members.optusnet.com.au/~gardenlen1/
  • Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2005 06:31:39 -0700

In an otherwise wonderful bit of writing, Len was quoted:

> Someone else
> responded by saying "there was a course at someplace in the US, and that
> the conveners allowed for heaps of reading time!!!" Sounds like the
> learning might have come from the books hey? And they further said "if
> nothing else the $1000+USD they paid provided at the least a cheap
> holiday"!!!!! ... someone did a course and then said it
> was like being a WWOOFer (or WWOPCFer - Willing Workers On Permaculture
> Farms) that paid to help the conveners to finish or start permaculture
> projects, some holiday hey?

At risk of being a one-note Johnny about PDCs, I must say that I have never,
ever seen or heard a PDC in the US that faintly resembles either of these
situations. If anyone has, I'd like to hear about it--who taught it and
where it was. I'm sorry Len chose to repeat this negative hearsay about
PDCs.

Toby
www.patternliteracy.com