permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Food space from a permaculture standpoint

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: treaclemine@intranet.org
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Food space from a permaculture standpoint
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:03:29 -0600

Greetings,

The numbers which I've seen seem to take into the account
that any imported inputs are 'taking up land' too, and suggest that a
quarter of an acre per person should be sufficient for a strict
vegetarian (vegan) diet.

Redefining Progress quote 0.8 hectares per ton for crop-based
diets and 2.1 hectares for animal-derived food (but I can't find
their source, and a 'ton' is an imperial measurement, so I'm not
sure if they actually mean (metric) tonne!)

http://www.rprogress.org/newprojects/ecolFoot/faq/#food2

Through their Ecological Footprint Analysis, Redefining Progress
estimate that:

"When the total amount of ecologically productive land area included
in EFA is divided by the human population, there are about 4.5 acres
(1.89 hectares) available for each person."

http://www.redefiningprogress.org/footprint/

Thanks,

Amanda in the UK

--