permaculture - [permaculture] Green Building Costs

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: McFarlandAIA@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Green Building Costs
  • Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2005 20:09:19 EDT

Another item to consider when weighing costs for building sustainably is
First Cost vs. Life Cycle Cost. A high first cost (for a ground source heat
pump,
for example) and comparing it to lower fuel costs for the life of the
product,
put green building costs in a whole different light. In my area, Texas Gulf
Coast, a higher efficient building envelop, better lighting and air
conditioning have been the norm for more than 5 years in commercial building.
The life
cycle costs make it a better buy for the long term owner. And the residential
Austin Green Building Program, which I work with, weighs such features. The
owner still seems to pay a premium for "alternative" products like rammed
earth
and compressed earth block, and particularly ICF's. But the payoff is huge.
How
do you factor in the cost in those cases?

Shawn McFarland, AIA, LEED AP

  • [permaculture] Green Building Costs, McFarlandAIA, 07/09/2005